Sneakers are my number one go to shoes to wear when I go just about anywhere e.g. I’ve even worn them to weddings despite my family’s annoyance. And not because our feet are stinky but since they are the type of shoes that we wear the most, they can often turn out to be incredibly smelly. So, fancy or not fancy sneakers, they’re all the same when it comes to bad smell. And let’s be honest, it can give you anxiety and turn out to be slightly embarrassing to take your sneakers in a group of people worrying that they’ll smell. So, rather get in a situation where you’re anxious or embarrassed about your smelly sneakers, it’s better to know about these 5 hacks on How to get the smell out of sneakers before going anywhere.
Also, you don’t have to worry about the budget nor about the process being super lengthy and time-consuming. These hacks are super easy to do and very inexpensive. Then let’s get started!
Step 1: Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
This method is very effective in removing bad odors from sneakers and joggers. And it doesn’t even require you to make an urgent trip to the grocery or the dollar store because we all use vinegar or baking soda in our day to day lives.
What you need to do is: –
- Fill each of your sneakers or joggers with 1 cup of baking soda.
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into each shoe. (Distilled or white vinegar to be used only. Other types of vinegar can result in stains)
- The result of both vinegar and baking soda will cause a fizzy reaction to occur. There’s no need to worry. The fizziness is a good sign and it means you have been successful at doing this science experiment.
- Let the bubbling or the fizzing to happen for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the vinegar and baking soda and let your shoes out to dry.
NOTE: If you’re not a big fan of bubbly or fizzy situations or having to put your new or favorite sneakers in vinegar or washing them. You can simply put 1 cup baking soda in each of the sneakers and leave them overnight to get rid of the odor.
The basic difference between both with and without vinegar is that vinegar together with baking soda helps in warding off bad odors much faster than with baking soda alone.
Step 2: Using Orange Peels
This is by far the easiest way to remove bad smell from your shoes. I think you know what you need to do for this.
- Eat an orange.
- Instead of going to the garbage for throwing your orange peels. Put them in your shoes.
That’s literally all you need to do! Eat and use the peels to help you with your bad shoe odors.
HOW DOES THIS HELP?
The fresh citrus smell of oranges and is the most refreshing way on How to get the smell out of sneakers also it replaces them with a pleasant smell therefore looking and smelling fresh.
You can also use grapefruit, lime peels, and lemon to get rid of the smell. They have the same effect that orange peels have on the removal of bad odors.
Step 3: Use of Black Teabags
Probably the most effortless way to get the bad smell out of sneakers is the use of black tea bags. My family members drink tea twice a day without a day’s break. So, having to worry about their accessibility is not something of concern to me. And because this is such an easy task is why it is immensely popular among my family members and whoever else they forward this ‘magical’ technique to.
All you need to do for this is: –
- Get 2 black tea bags in boiling water.
- Remove them out of the water after 3-4 minutes.
- Let it sit out and dry for 5 minutes.
- Put the black tea bags in each shoe.
- Let them sit for an hour in the shoe and work their magic.
- Remove the teabags and for any access moisture, remove it with a towel r a tissue paper.
You’ll notice an immediate decrease or removal of the smell out of your shoes. They are also a great shoe deodorizer.
Step 4: Using Paper
Paper is very precious. If you’ve got plenty of newspapers or simple papers that you’ve used and no longer require the need of.
You can always use it to remove the bad smell from your sneakers.
All you need to do for this is: –
- Take any paper that needs recycling or which you just simply want to throw away.
- Stuff your shoes with those papers.
- Leave them overnight.
This method is effortless and uncomplicated. Also, the simplicity of this method is such that we use paper every day, instead of throwing it away we can recycle it and also use it to keep our shoes free of smell.
Step 5: Make your Own Shoe Deodorizer Spray
What’s better than to have your very own shoe deodorizer! And what’s better to rather buy it, make it yourself.
The thing about shoe deodorizers is that they can always be used instantly. For example, if you forget to do any of the above steps on how to get the smell out of sneakers or if you’re tired and you really don’t want to do any of the above. You can always wake up and get your shoe deodorizer spray out and mist the insoles of your sneakers before wearing or after wearing them.
All you need to make your shoe deodorizer is: –
- Take an empty spray bottle. If you don’t have one you can easily get one from a dollar store.
- Put in it half cup of water.
- Then half cup white vinegar.
- And then lastly, at least 5 drops of tea tree oil.
If you found this article helpful, give us your feedback below in comment box.
Team – ShoesImpact